Call Us Call Us! (970) 352-9500 (800) 752-6034

Insurance Tips and Advice

Remember to read our blog for the most updated insurance advice! 

Why Should I Use an Independent Agent?

Independent agents have the ability to search numerous insurance companies to find the best value for coverage that fits your personal needs. Your Independent agent is a one-stop shop; able to cover most of your insurance needs in one location.

Does Your Agent Work For You?

Your independent Union Colony Agent is licensed in Colorado and carries with them the fiduciary responsibility to be your advocate. Sit down with your agent once a year and have them take a comprehensive look at your risks. They can advise you on a solid risk management program that is in your best interest.

Is your Center Pivot Covered at Replacement Cost (RC) or Actual Cash Value (ACV)?

This could be a huge difference depending on the age of your pivot. Typically a pivot ten years old+ is insured at ACV versus newer pivots covered at RC which typically run about $10,000 per tower.

Irrigation Equipment

usually has a deductible of $1,000 regardless of the deductible on the rest of your policy.

Have you made Improvements, Updates, or Changes to your Home?

Build a new deck, added an addition to your home, make changed to your kitchen or bath? Make sure you let you agent know of these updates in order to adjust your coverage limit.

Guns, Jewelry, Furs?

Not all policies are the same nor all valuables considered equal, so make sure you understand what your policy covers. Most home policies have a limit on the coverage for items such as guns, jewelry and furs. You can purchase a rider to enhance your coverage if needed.

Catastrophes Happen

But are not always the same. There is a good chance your home is covered for wildfires and storms but not covered for the peril of earthquake and flood. Are you sure you are not in a flood area? Flood insurance is available from your Union Colony agent.

Have you looked at your Wind & Hail deductible lately?

Be careful of the avenues your insurance company could be using for your wind and hail deductible. Many insurance companies utilize a percent of your home’s insured value when figuring the deductible for damage caused by wind and hail. Example: if your home is insured for $180,000 and the wind and hail deductible is 2% of the value, you would be faced with a deductible of $3,600 on a roof replacement. Follow this link for a better understanding.


Many insurance companies offer discounts for impact resistant roofing products. Does your roof meet the UL rating to get a discount? Here are a couple web sites to help with the ratings of different types of roofing material and more.


When utilizing contractors for home remodels, repairs or major projects, be sure he provides you with a “Certificate of Insurance” prior to providing any services.

Do You Have Enough Liability Insurance?

It is good practice to standardize liability limits on all your policies - auto, home, cabin, boats, etc. We believe you should have at least $300,000 to $500,000 at a minimum. If you happen to be sued by someone you injure, you could be sued for more than just medical bills. You could end up paying lost wages in addition to pain and suffering which could easily end up over the $300,000 to $500,000 cost.

Ever Consider an Umbrella Insurance Policy?

Ever worry about being sued and losing assets you have worked decades to put together? An umbrella policy provides coverage over the top of your other policies. Typically these policies, written for at least $1,000,000+, can often be very affordable and worth every penny if a catastrophic liability hits you and your assets. Check with your Union Colony agent for details on this coverage and what suites your needs.

Least expensive policy?

Many people get hung up shopping for the least expensive policy and forget to look at the contents of that policy. In many instances you can spend a little more money and get better coverage for the dollars spent. It pays to sit down with your Union Colony Independent agent and look at the value of your current policy.

Auto Insurance Terms

  • Liability insurance covers damage you cause to other people’s property and injuries to the people.
  • Collision insurance covers damage to your own vehicle in an accident.
  • Comprehensive insurance covers your vehicle from physical damage (other than collision). For example, fire damage or a cracked windshield would be covered under the comprehensive section.
  • Medical insurance payments covers medical expenses for injuries to you and your passengers, regardless of who is at fault. This could also cover you if injured by a motor vehicle while riding your bicycle or as a pedestrian.
  • Uninsured motorist (UM) insurance and underinsured motorist (UIM) insurance coverage covers you or the occupants of your car for bodily injury caused by an uninsured, underinsured or hit-and-run driver. Underinsured insurance takes care of those losses when the at fault driver does not carry adequate limits to cover the total cost of your injury.
  • Uninsured motorist property damage coverage is available to purchase on your older vehicles you do not carry collision coverage. This would cover your vehicle for damages caused by an uninsured motorist. This coverage is available for a minimal additional premium.
  • Optional coverage’s are also available on your auto policy. Towing, labor and rental reimbursement are examples of optional coverage’s you should consider for a minimal additional premium.

Good Credit?

Did you know many insurance companies utilize credit scores when rating your policies? Good credit can save you money.

Should I Bundle?

Most insurance companies offer multi-policy discounts. Ask your Union Colony agent about these and other possible insurance cost savings tips such as installing smoke detectors and burglar alarms.

© Copyright. All rights reserved.
Powered by Insurance Website Builder